You were the Mother in Boston, Mentor, and Catalyst to form my career.
— Nobi (Nobuyuki) Kambe
(Fall 1976 ~ March 1981 in Millie’s Group)
- Millie always edited our papers by the next morning.
- Learned work ethic
- Encountered the late Prof. Peter Eklund (below), a postdoc at Millie’s Group, who co-founded Nanotech Venture with me
- Pursued 2D materials-enabled devices, thanks to the training at Millie’s Group
- Assisted NSF troop led by Millie in Japan
- Millie was a catalyst to expand my network globally
- Millie said, “I have a unique sense to find an emerging and high-impact field”
- Believed this message and jumped in a venture world in US
- Founded a pioneering Nanotech startup in Silicon Valley; just followed Millie’s challenging spirit
- Shifted efforts to help Next-Gen entrepreneurs in Advanced Materials innovations in Energy, IT, and Medical fields
- Little change in the fields of interest from what I learned under Millie’s supervision
- Getting closer to the societal impact in real industries